Pleasant Hope, MO
SSM Health Rehabilitation Hospital has a long history which began in 1900 for the care and treatment of tuberculosis patients, the first and only private hospital for this purpose in the state Missouri. The hospital then known as Mount St. Rose was founded by the Sisters of St. Mary in 1900 after efforts by Sr. Mary Helen Kyle to promote and raise funds for the hospital. Sr. Mary Helen Kyle became the first administrator of Mt. St. Rose when it opened on Sept. 16, 1900, with three tuberculosis patients. One of those patients was Sr. Mary Helen Kyle herself. She would later die of the disease in 1912 at the age of 46. Mt. St. Rose operated strictly as a tuberculosis hospital until 1957 when it opened a division to treat patients with chronic diseases. A department of physical therapy opened in 1965 and in 1967 the hospital established a rehabilitation unit. In 1972 a new rehabilitation center opened and 10 years later comprehensive rehabilitation services became the focus of the hospital. The hospital’s name changed to St. Mary’s on the Mount in 1980.On January 7, 1985 St. Mary’s on the Mount closed and the patients transferred to new rehabilitation facilities at St. Mary’s Health Center and St. Joseph’s Health Center.On September 28, 2010 the 35-Bed SSM Health Rehabilitation Hospital – Richmond Heights opened on the campus of St. Mary's Hospital. Then, on January 11, 2012 the 60 bed free standing SSM Health Rehabilitation Hospital-Bridgeton opened on the campus of DePaul Hospital. Today, the doors from St. Mary’s on the Mount (demolished in 1989) can be seen at the entrance to this hospital.